Vulnerable sector check

Getting a Vulnerable Sector Check is different than a criminal record check:

  • Local Canadian police always initiate a Vulnerable Sector Check.
  • Vulnerable sector checks must be conducted by the local Canadian police service where an applicant lives.
  • The hiring organization must request a vulnerable sector check. The person being checked provides consent but does not make the request.
  • No federal legislation requires any organization to conduct vulnerable sector checks. Contact your provincial or territorial government for more information.
  • Results of vulnerable sector checks are only made available to organizations located in Canada.
  • If the position does not meet the requirements of the Criminal Records Act for a vulnerable sector check, it is not legal for the police service to conduct one.
  • More information on theĀ RCMP web site.